Sunday, September 14, 2008

black liike me reading journal four

Hi. I have just started reading a new book called Black Like Me a work of nonfiction by John Howard Griffin. I really am enjoying this book especially because like breaking through it flows like a fictional novel instead of a work of nonfiction. This book really has away of getting you absorbed in. Its about a young rich white man who trades in his life of privilege for the existence as a poor African American in the deep south of the nineteen fifties when the race line was clearly show and dived states like Louisiana,Georgia, Mississippi, and Alabama.

What would it be like to be anther race? What would it be like to be hated for the color of ones skin? These are thew question John griffin asks himself as he changes his skin color and gives up his cushy life to answer these questions . I am thinking to myself if I commended him on his bravery or find it odd and do not like it. I mean I think we all have maybe thought these questions and tried to understand racism but would we ever really go that far.

My awnser is that I probably would do something like that if for some reason the opportunity presented itself because I am sure it would be one of those life altering experiences you get have every now and then in your life. To be onest even though I would probably do it I also find both brave and distasteful somewhat at the same time.

But like most things involving controversial acts we continue to watch because were hooked and cant help it. I am hooked on this book and cant help it so i am going to keep reading!

No comments: